Thursday, December 23, 2010

Welcome New Readers :)

The photo that inspired my blog title.
Getting ready for Balanchine's
Divertimento No. 15 at BAE 2007.
Photo by the wonderful
Rosalie O'Connor.
Between the Huffington Post, The New York Times, and the Dance Advantage blog comptetition, I've gotten a lot of new blog readers lately :) Welcome! I thought (since it's been a while...) I'd just do a quick overview post about the blog and such...

I started Off Center back in the summer of 2007. I was 18, had just completed "ballet school" at BAE here in NYC and was starting my professional dance career, my final semester of college, and my first semester of grad school. And wow, a lot has happened since then...

Back then, there were very few dance blogs that existed. I was trying to start a freelance writing career after interning at Pointe Magazine, a dance PR agency, and a few other magazines - and I thought blogging might be a good way to keep myself churning out content. Basically the only other dance blogs (in New York, at least) were The Winger, Swan Lake Samba Girl, Oberon's Grove, Dancing Perfectly Free, and Great Dance. We all met in person for the first time in January of 2008 when Cedar Lake Dance became really the first company to invite bloggers and take notice that this was where the media world was headed.
 
(Ok I'm searching everywhere to find the picture we took that night but...this one was a few weeks later at a gathering hosted by Movmnt Magazine...)

That fall I wrote my senior thesis on dance journalism in print and online, and it's so amusing to read it now and see just how much has evolved in technology in just 3 short years!

Personally, a lot has come from starting the blog. I've gotten writing gigs from it and the opportunity to see more dance in NYC than I ever could've imagined. I've met some wonderful people (in real life and online) and have had the chance to interview inspiring dancers. I've been able to share some life highlights...

-Insights from rehearsals with numerous companies
-Internships at major magazines
-Graduation from college and grad school
-My first professional ballet job (and many thereafter)
-The joys of performing 2 years at Radio City
...and many many more.

If you want to take a look back, the archives to the right are pretty mangeable. I'm in the process of trying to go through and label old posts that I never categorized...but that may take a while. There's also a feature on the left bottom side of the page called "Life at a Glance" that has some big topics already broken down (and also needs to be updated...).

I also am super active on Twitter, if you want to follow me there :)
And here's my full website with my bio, etc.

A huge thanks for reading! I so appreciate anyone who sticks with me to read more than one of my ramblings...

2 comments:

Nichelle said...

I would have liked to see more of the older blogs enter, Taylor. It's too bad, in my opinion, that they didn't. I'm so glad that you and Eva decided to do so. It's hard to believe that it's nearing 3 years since I started Dance Advantage on April Fools Day in 2008! Here's to your longevity in blogging. Thanks for still going strong.

Kerry Aradhya said...

Hi, Taylor. I just discovered your blog (via the Dance Advantage blog contest--and voted for you in your category). My two biggest passions are writing and dancing as well! Your blog looks very interesting, and I'm very curious to hear about your burgeoning dance career...and your writing success. Sounds like you are very accomplished already. Good luck in the contest!